Are halal free trade zones on the horizon for UK post-Brexit?22 Jun 2017
What do you need to know about Egypt’s Islamic economy before investing in it?18 Jun 2017
India cattle trade ban: How much buffalo meat do Islamic countries import?13 Jun 2017
Are ‘Moslem meals’ on board flights halal-certified?12 Jun 2017
Singapore’s halal grocer MyOutlets making offline-to-online global push05 Jun 2017
Ramadan in the UK: Supermarkets missing a trick to capture the halal market05 Jun 2017
Ingredients-checking ‘halal apps’ could provide false security29 May 2017
Rampant food inflation and a debased currency cause for concern for Egyptians this Ramadan24 May 2017
INTERVIEW-UAE’s only halal-certified luxury chocolatier to double capacity with new factory24 May 2017
KEY TAKEAWAYS-IFANCA International Halal Food Conference 201714 May 2017
Japanese halal certifier JHA eyeing increase in exports after GCC accreditation
Photo: Japan Halal Association booth at a halal trade fair in Malaysia. Courtesy Japan Halal Association
Japan Halal Association has become the first Japanese certifier to be accredited by the GCC Accreditation Centre (GAC).
JHA chairperson Hind Hitomi Remon told Salaam Gateway the association received confirmation of its accreditation from GAC on Jan 23 and it will formally receive the certificate in person on Feb 27. JHA’s accreditation will remain valid through Jan 22, 2019, said Remon.
She hopes the accreditation will increase export opportunities for Japan’s halal-certified companies and products.
“The GAC covers all six GCC countries plus Yemen. Most of our halal-certified companies want to export to GCC countries, including cosmetics. We have recommended they switch to our new system that complies with GAC standards,” said Remon.
JHA has certified more than 80 companies since its establishment in 2010, according to Remon. 98 percent are food companies, with the remaining 2 percent split between cosmetics and logistics companies.
“Although demand for cosmetics certification is increasing, at the moment there is only one company that we have certified,” said Remon.
JHA is also recognised by Malaysia’s JAKIM and is in the process of renewing its recognition from Singapore’s MUIS.
Photo: Some products certified by Japan Halal Association. Photo courtesy Japan Halal Association
Other Japan-based halal certifiers recognised by JAKIM as at Feb 6 this year are Japan Muslim Association, Japan Halal Unit Association, Japan Islamic Trust, Muslim Professional Japan Association, and Nippon Asia Halal Association.
Japan does not have a national-level halal certifier and there are currently around 20 active independent certifiers.
The GAC is a member of Dubai-based International Halal Accreditation Forum (IHAF) that aims to harmonise halal standards globally. Its other 19 members include the American Association for Laboratory Accreditation, Dubai Municipality and Dubai Accreditation Center, Entidad Nacional de Acreditacion (Spain), and Joint Accreditation System of Australia and New Zealand. Its full membership list can be accessed here.
COMPANY PROFILE: Japan Halal Association
© SalaamGateway.com 2017 All Rights Reserved
Saverah Women Expo 2017
- InterContinental London - The O2
Halal Branding & Marketing Masterclass - How to make the permissible unmissable
- Royal Chulan Hotel, Kuala Lumpure, Malaysia.
London Halal Food Festival 2017
- Tobacco Dock The Dock Tobacco Quay Wapping Lane, London. E1W 2SF
Iftar celebrations amid the Douma ruins
23 Jun 2017 | production
U.S. bans fresh Brazil beef imports over safety concerns
23 Jun 2017 | regulations-compliance
Oman: Al Namaa Poultry signs financing deal with Meethaq
22 Jun 2017 | finance-investing
Brazil blocks JBS deal, seeks asset freeze amid corruption probe
22 Jun 2017 | regulations-compliance